Friday, June 26, 2015

The Blondie Brownie

Good night to the US, and good afternoon in Hong Kong!

We've been here about 2 weeks now, and this second week went by quickly! I had my second day of Mandarin today, and Bryan has been at work all week (which is good, considering that's why we're really here!). Mandarin is an interesting language to learn - I'm just barely learning a few vocabulary words, but the tones and sounds of the letters themselves are so different from English, that it's definitely going to take some time to get used to (let alone actually learning the words and speaking any of the language) - but I'm excited to learn something new!

After class, I was able to meet Bryan for a delicious dim sum lunch - I meant to take photos, but we ate everything too quickly (whoops! - but can you really blame us?) I'll try to remember to take photos next time :)

When I got home, I wanted to try another dessert. So for my second attempt at microwave-baking, I chose a "blonde" brownie. Brownie consistency, but not chocolate (although there are chocolate chips because I love chocolate!). As with the banana bread, I took photos, and I will outline how I made it below. I am making every recipe miniature (about 2-4 servings max) because we have limited bowls, a small microwave, and it's just the two of us, but feel free to make the recipe larger.


Here are the ingredients (I made this in a mug):
  • 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons and 2 teaspoons butter, melted (**I used a spread but use REAL butter!)
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 egg, beaten (I beat an egg, and then used only have of it for this recipe)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 small handfuls of dark chocolate chips (minis are even better!)

    Blondie Brownie Ingredients - use REAL butter!
    So now that the ingredients are ready, I got out my measuring cups and spoons, two bowls for mixing, and a mug to bake in - then I was ready to go!

    Directions:
    1. In a bowl, add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
    2. In a separate bowl, melt REAL butter (I think I may have stressed this enough at this point - but it's just so much better with real butter. You can definitely taste a difference). Then stir the brown sugar into the melted butter and mix well. Add 1/2 of the beaten egg (pre-beat, as stated above) and vanilla to this mixture.
    3. Add the flour mixture to the brown sugar mixture, and stir until just combined.
    4. Oil the mug (or vessel of choice) with the vegetable oil, and pour half of the batter in. Sprinkle with chocolate chips, slightly pressing them into the batter. Pour the remaining batter in, and sprinkle with more chocolate chips on top.
    5. Bake in the microwave for 2-3 minutes (keeping an eye on it so it doesn't overflow as it puffs up). Since it's in the microwave, you can open it mid-bake to check on it, and then continue baking.
    6. Take out of the microwave and enjoy!! 
      1. You also have the option of letting it cool slightly, turning it out of the mug, and cutting it up - your choice if you want to share!
    Batter's all mixed up!
    Ready to Bake!
    Option #1: Eat straight from the mug!
    Option #2: Take it out of the mug and cut into pieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions!