Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Welcome!

Hey everyone!

Welcome to my (our) summer abroad. First off - I have to wish my husband a happy happy birthday! That inspired the first dessert I tried today, so I have to make sure to add that in.

I also have to explain why I am a "not-so-trailing" spouse. My husband and I are in Hong Kong for a summer abroad, as he has an internship here. Since I came here sans-job, I would be known as a "trailing spouse". Here's the true definition: used to describe a person who follows his or her life partner to another city because of a work assignment. The term is often associated with people involved in an expatriate (expat) assignment. Thank you wikipedia.
Unfortunately, there is also a stigma associated with a trailing spouse - no one takes you seriously, many people just say "so you're just following your SO? what you are going to do?" and you're basically expected to be a bored housewife (or househusband). It's just the two of us right now, but I am certainly not a bored housewife. And I didn't just mindlessly follow him - we both know that. This summer was a joint decision, and one we've been looking forward to.
Many "trailing" spouses often feel bored, withdrawn, and overwhelmed - and don't get me wrong, I completely understand that. It is definitely overwhelming to be thrown into a new country when you only know your spouse - but I refuse to let that define me. I have a wonderful husband, and feel very lucky to have the opportunity to try living in a new country, and I want to make the most of this experience!

During my time here, I am taking a Mandarin course (since it is more broadly spoken), and I am going to figure out how to bake delicious desserts using what we have: a smaller-than-usual microwave, a mini fridge (yes, mini), and 2 stove top burners. No oven. Usually baking is synonymous with the word oven, so here goes nothing (or hopefully something)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions!